Thursday, January 12, 2012

we've got a baby prankster on our hands!

Dear Mary Tyler,

You are just like your Daddy, you think you are very funny :) I am pleased to announce that I'm writing this blog from my own bed, at home! You've kept Mommy in the hospital for the last 4 days, threatening an early arrival.

On Sunday afternoon, Aunt Janey and Uncle Tyler were here helping your dad and me get some things done around the house, for your arrival. Janey and I were cleaning out the laundry room and Dad and Tyler took some old guest room furniture to a storage unit to make some more room for you. While they were gone I started feeling the "cramps" in my lower abdomen again and getting some radiating back pain. I really didn't even want to call the OB on call. I had a lot I'd planned on doing that day and felt like it'd be a false alarm type thing. When the contractions just got worse with more movement and activity, I called the dr. They told me given what had happened a few days earlier, I should head back to the hospital.

We arrived and they hooked me up to the monitors to see what my contractions were looking like. They gave me a shot of brethine and did something called a Fetal Fibronectin test. Here's a little info about the test: Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus.

Fetal fibronectin is often present in cervical secretions during early pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also shows up later in pregnancy, about one to three weeks before labor begins. If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she may test a swab from your cervical canal for the presence of fetal fibronectin. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of delivering within the next 2 weeks.

So, after the shot and the test we waited for the results which were going to take about an hour. The shot calmed the contractions during that time, but after about an hour they were back and I had about 8 contractions in 30 minutes. They decided to admit me, even though we still didnt know the results of the FFN.

We were admitted to the labor and delivery floor and the nurses were so great. They told me I would be hooked up to magnesium for the next 48 hours to slow contractions enough that the steriods they gave you would work. (They gave mommy two steriod shots to help develop your lungs, in case you did come early). The magnesium was terrible. It made me feel like I had the flu. It made me so hot that the nurses declared my room an "igloo" and everyone that came to visit us had to bundle up in a big furry blanket. The FFN test came back negative, meaning there would only be a 5% chance you would come in the next 2 weeks, but the next day, when I started having contractions again (9 in 30 minutes) they were thinking you were in that 5%. They said they'd no longer try to stop you from coming bc you were 33 weeks and have a great chance of thriving and having a healthy life, but you'd have to spend a few weeks in the NICU. The head doctor from the NICU came in to talk to mommy, daddy, uncle tyler, aunt janey, travdaddy, gmommy, grandy, and grams. He made us all feel very comfortable with what would happen should you arrive. At that point there were some nerves, but more excitement at thinking we may meet you so soon. although it was not the ideal situation. What a roller coaster the past three days had been!

Luckily, over night, the contractions spaced out and slowed down. They let me come off the monitors all day yesterday and made sure you and me were ok, and we were. They decided to let us come home under one condition, strict bed rest. That means for the next three weeks you and me will be doing a whole lotta' nothin. I'm also on a medicine called Procardia, to control the contractions. It makes me feel a little weak and funny bc it's a medicine for high blood pressure, and I have low blood pressure, so it lowers it even more. My cardiologist said I wouldn't be able to take it if I were going to be allowed out of the house because it would probably induce my passing out, but since I'll be in bed, I should be ok.

You are so active since we got home last night. Bumping and nudging me constantly. You feel SO HEAVY in there. I think it's because I was pumped full of IV fluids all week and my amniotic fluid is just full to the brim. It's crazy to think that in just 3 weeks you may be able to make your debut into this world. I'm allowed off bed rest on Feb 1st and you are due on Feb 29th. Mommy and Daddy both think you have decided to stay nice and cozy in there, though. I'm expecting you to arrive around Feb 22nd, just one week early, and Daddy thinks you're going to be born in March. Either way, we are so excited to meet you, but more excited you decided to stay in and get a little bit bigger over the next few weeks (hopefully)!



No comments:

Post a Comment